Tuesday, April 7, 2009

He made me mad...

...so I hit him!











Well, that wasn't quite the case... But I sounded tough, didn't I?


Almost 5 years ago, David was out turkey hunting with his cousin Matthew, when some shot went astray (or so Matthew says ;-) ) and entered into the area around David's left eye. I was resting soundly in bed - after all, it was my birthday - when David comes in and says look at my eye! I begrudgingly rolled over and said "What about it?" Frankly, I didn't see anything wrong with it. After looking at it a bit more closely, there was just a tiny scratch near his eye, but there was a piece lead shot that had lodged in there too. We saw several different doctors, but none were able to remove it, and the plastic surgeon that said he could said that there was no need to remove the shot if it wasn't bothering him. So, along with life we went...



Fast forward to this year. As most of you know, David suffered a back injury when he was in Iraq, and has been seeking different kinds of treatment for almost 2 years now. His pain management doctor finally referred him for a new MRI since none of the treatments they attempted worked, and if they did, the effect didn't last long. We went for the MRI months ago, and the radiologist refused to do the MRI because of this tiny piece of shot in David's face (nevermind that he has already had 2 open MRI's and lead is not magnetic!!!). Sooooo, we've been referred to doctor after doctor after doctor to get this darned thing cut out of his face, and we finally got it accomplished yesterday. This is what he looks like post op, and a picture of this tiny little piece of shot that has been causing this big trouble these last few months:

















Hopefully we will now be able to get that MRI done so we can fix his back!!

No comments:

Henri Chapelle American Cemetery and Memorial

While we were at the wreath laying ceremony, David spoke with a Dutch family who was able to give us information on how to find where his gr...