Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Town Square

After lunch we went to the area of Saigon where their town hall is located.
Built between 1902 and 1908 in the French colonial style, this building has been known as Hotel de Ville, the Town Hall, and the City Hall of Saigon - but was renamed to Ho Chi Minh City People's Committee in 1975. 
The Opera House
Hotel Continental Saigon 
Family Statue 
 
We went back for some night shots.
The Rex Hotel
This hotel is famous because it was a popular place for GI's to go for drinks during the war. 
 
I'm finding that I really wish my dad were alive so I could talk to him about this place.  He never talked much about his time in Vietnam, but I know that during one of his tours he was in Saigon, and I would love to be able to find out where he had been, and share a little with him about how much it has changed.

No comments:

Henri Chapelle American Cemetery and Memorial

While we were at the wreath laying ceremony, David spoke with a Dutch family who was able to give us information on how to find where his gr...