Kasteel de Haar is the largest castle in the Netherlands, once the private residence of the Van Zuylen family, whose descendants still stay here yearly in September. It is the perfect depiction of a medieval fortress with towers and ramparts, moats, gates and drawbridges, all surrounded by beautiful park grounds, gardens, and ponds. The castle dates from the 13th century but fell into disrepair in the 18th and 19th centuries, with rebuilding and restoration taking place from 1892-1912.
I have no words to describe how delicious the cheese is.
There were some unique items such as these bird houses.
Naomi got to split some wood with a sledge hammer. It was a really cool device.
There was a chapel on the grounds as well.
I think I could live here
Unfortunately we missed being able to go into the castle by just a few minutes, so we will have to venture back that way to see the inside at some point during the next 3 years. I think I'll plan for spring to summer so we can see the gardens in bloom.
No comments:
Post a Comment