Today we ventured out to
We took the bus to AK Plaza (a gigantic department store with multiple other stores and restaurants) so David could show me the ropes a bit.
The kids were pretty excited about riding a bus - no car seats, no seatbelts, and on the way home they had to stand up while the bus was moving!
At the top of AK Plaza they have a "Sky Garden" with some seating areas and a large area for the kids to let loose.
The kids really enjoyed climing on these ducks.
Looking out over Pyeongtaek
Monkeyin' around
This man saw the kids as he and his girlfriend were coming into the Sky Garden and was just captivated by Tristan. He took his picture a couple of times, and when he sat on the duck to have his picture taken, Tristan was walking by and he patted the back of the duck to have Tristan sit with him. Tristan, uncharacteristically obliged. The kids have done great with all the attention they have been getting when we're out and about. For those of you who aren't familiar with Korean customs, fair haired, fair skinned children are supposed to bring luck, and Koreans love to touch children. My parents said that when I was a child people would cross the street to touch my hair. The first day we were here a woman came up to Grace and just ran her hands down Grace's hair and cupped her face and told her how beautiful she was. Although it hasn't happened as frequently as we thought it might (they do get a lot of second looks though), it does happen on occassion, and the kids are handling it very well. David and I have explained to them why they do it, and have just told them to be polite, and that's just what they do.
Having some fun in the fountains.
After the kids ran around a bit, we went out for supper. David chose a "beef and leaf" restaurant. We didn't quite know what to expect, but the staff was more than willing to help us out.
Everything was cooked in a broth. We had beef, several different kinds of leafy vegetables and several varieties of mushrooms. Once we polished that off, the noodles were cooked, and then a rice dish at the very end.
I told David today that I was so glad that he was their father because I would have chosen the burger joint because that would have been a safe choice. But, thankfully our kids take after him and they are willing to try anything (and I've become a lot more adventurous too, but it still makes me nervous to try foreign dishes when I'm not totally sure what I'm getting). We all loved our food, and the kids kept asking for more - I think they would've finished off another plate if we'd have ordered one! But, it was time to head home and surprise David with the dessert we made for him on Friday...
2 comments:
Mmmmm.... Shabu-Shabu!! How exciting that you're venturing out of your comfort zone! I say, take advantage of where you are! You can always have Pizza Hut and KFC when you get back to the US.
Haaaaa i love the part of the strange guy with tristan!! that totally happened to me with japanese people when i was little! too funny! - Courtney
Post a Comment