Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Finally!

So, being a first-time parent, I had no idea how long it would take for a loose tooth to actually come out... I blogged about a loose tooth in my Soon to Be Toothless blog back on March 1. Well, the tooth has finally made its way out of her head...

After ballet she said it was "almost out", so I took a look to see for myself and sure enough, it was really loose, and the way she was wiggling and turning it was making my stomach turn.

When I saw her do this, I figured with one good, quick tug it would come right out. So, I grabbed a napkin and did just that. I tugged, good and hard, and nothing. Nothing but screams and tears that is. Talk about feeling like a horrible mother... So, I left it alone and told her she needed to just keep wiggling it and trying to get it out. I really wasn't that excited about pulling it for her - that's a daddy's job - so when she said she wanted to do it herself, I was fine with that. There's something about that ripping sound and sensation that I really don't like.

Well, she was being entirely too gentle with it, so I took her back in my arms, laid her back and RRRRIIIIPPPP, got it out of there! No, not really - I couldn't stand to cause her that kind of pain. What I did do was inspect it carefully and just went little by little, thread by thread, with little breaks when she got too panicked a look on her face. It wasn't until the very last portion that I had to give it another good tug to get it out. Just as she was getting ready to give a good wail, it came free.

Her panicked look quickly dissolved into a look of incredible joy as she was officially a member of the "Lost Tooth Club"! I've never seen anyone so happy over losing a tooth! It was a sight to see - bloody gums and all, smiling ear to ear. I did make her go brush her teeth before we took pictures though. The cool thing was that David was available on his computer and we were able to call him and show him what had just transpired. Then it was off to Dairy Queen for a little treat.
Examining her tooth

Putting it in her tooth pillow for the Tooth Fairy to find

Making sure it's in there

She agreed to put it on her shelf instead of under her pillow so the tooth wouldn't fall out and get lost (as it did when the pillow fell off the bed). She thinks the Tooth Fairy will bring her $1 since it is her first lost tooth. I'm thinking that inflation has been hard on the Tooth Fairy!

No comments:

Henri Chapelle American Cemetery and Memorial

While we were at the wreath laying ceremony, David spoke with a Dutch family who was able to give us information on how to find where his gr...